St Paul's Anglican Church

Paihia, Bay of Islands

 

                                     

 

...........................................................................................

 

St Paul's Church, Paihia would like to acknowledge the generous

contribution made by Paihia bakery to our service of thanksgiving and harvest

held on 15th June 2014

 

Sea Sunday

10 am 13th July 2014

Celebrating the work of the Mission to Seafarers

 

Social Servicdes Sunday

10 am 27th July

Ecumenical Coalition for Justice

 

 

 

 

Regular Service Times

1st SUNDAY of some MONTHS - 10 am Morning Prayer
  ALL OTHER SUNDAYS  - 10 am Holy Communion
More information and any changes are advertised below

 

 

St Paul's is a Local Shared Ministry Unit  (LSMU)

Often referred to as "The Stone Church", particularly by visitors, it is built opposite the beach, Marsden Road, close to the centre of the seaside resort town of Paihia
It's position, history and appearance, make it one of the best known churches
in New Zealand

Our Mission Statement
With the guidance of the Holy Spirit, we will develop and use our Christian Ministries to reach out to all, in God's love.
  ...................................................................................
In most circumstances a visit can be arranged for spiritual help or to arrange for any of the sacraments of Holy Communion, Baptism, Weddings, Funerals

Enquiries & Bookings to: -

Connie Mason - 09 4025093

e-mail: opportunity@xtra.co.nz


..........................................................................................
The Catholic Community also use this church
Catholic Mass is celebrated
Every Saturday: - 5.30 pm
Every Thursday 12.00 noon

.........................................................................................

 

 

Information


Auckland Diocesan website: www.auckanglican.org.nz
Anglican Church New Zealand website: www.anglican.org.nz

 


A Brief History of the Church

1823 –August 3rd------The Reverend Henry & Marianne Williams arrived in the Bay of Islands to set up a Mission Station, less than a decade after the first Christian Service was held on the Northern shores of the Bay of Islands, Christmas Day 1814. On their arrival, Mrs Williams with her three children went to reside in Kerikeri while the Reverend Henry Williams at once set to work to erect temporary buildings at the new station (The present Church site)

1823 – September 15th.---- On September 15th, Mrs Williams came to join her husband and records in her journal state that, not only was there a storehouse and dwelling, but also a Church, built of raupo.

1823 – September 21st--- The first Church ever built in New Zealand opened for Divine Service, here at Paihia

1826 – March 26th---- The Reverend William Williams with his wife joined his brother Henry, arriving at Paihia on March 26th, 1826.  This gentleman was a classical scholar of Oxford University and also had a considerable medical knowledge which was of the greatest benefit to the Mission.

1828 --------    In the year 1828, the raupo church was replaced with a lath and plaster structure, which served until ------
1856----------   when a wooden church was built, this was used until 1874, when it was dismantled.
1874----------   Another wooden Church was built using much of the old timber from the previous church.
1925----------   The 1874 church was dismantled in sections and barged up the Kawakawa river to Taumarere. This church is still in use at Taumarere for service.
1925---------    The present and 5th Church was built as a Memorial to Henry and William Williams. Made of stone quarried from Pukaru, near Kawakawa and timber from a forest near Waikare on the southern shores of the Bay of Islands
It is a lasting memorial to Henry and William Williams


 

The Organ

The first organ to be brought to New Zealand was used in Paihia Church.  It arrived August 27th 1830, while Henry and Marianne Williams were in residence.  It was later moved to Pakaraka and is now in the Wanganui Museum.  This old organ possessed a keyboard and was also fitted with a barrel.  The present organ is of similar design and vintage and is still in regular use.
 

The Stained Glass Window

The stained glass window was installed on the occasion of the Williams family reunion to commemorate 175 years since CMS missionary brothers Henry and William Williams landed in Paihia. Details and photos can be found in the church.